Update of patch #4936 (project freeciv):

Follow-up Comment #17:

Here's what I hope to be the final S2_5 patch. (Other branches to follow in
time.)

As well as the Communism/Federation changes in recent comments, and the
error/typo fixes, the main change is to how defence bonuses are documented.

> - In patch #5764 I introduced some changes to the city defense
> table that seems to collide with this patch (sorry)
I've taken this format and expanded it a bit.

> I find more intuitive the defense bonuses described as +50%
> than 1.5x.
I've gone back to this style (in README and buildings.ruleset).

> Also, I'd vote to remove the effect of Great wall from this
> table of defense
I've kept it, but in the new README style it's not as intrusive.

> I didn't like the way you described the defensive bonuses in
> these buildings: Aqueduct, City Walls, Coastal Defense. Even
> when they look accurate once you take into account the
> intrinsec bonus of the cities, the resultant numbers sound too
> aleatory, and complicated to remember.
I've since realised that the 'intrinsic' 1.5x bonus only applies to units that
can fortify (just Land and Big Land), so isn't appropriate to bake into all
the numbers; I've taken that out.

I've mostly gone back to the +50% style. However, I have kept in some of the
"increase by two-thirds" language, despite the factors being a bit random; I
think it's important to note cases where "+100%" doesn't actually double
defense from what it was before. But there are now fewer words than there
were.

(One of the reasons I went into this detail originally was to investigate
comments from a friend that late-game military victory seems basically
impossible without nukes; I wanted the real numbers to compare to classic. But
that's a topic for elsewhere.)

(file #23784)

Additional Item Attachment:

File name: S2_5-civ2civ3-doc.patch        Size:84 KB