Update of bug #24194 (project freeciv):

Follow-up Comment #6:

While adding more city rearrangements to get the error to go away would be
relatively easy, I rather keep this issue open for the problem indicated by
the need to do those rearrangements - that even though in most cases the
borders do not change at all, the nearby cities get workers moved. It's ok for
the shrinking city itself to rearrange as its number of workers change, but
there really should be no reason to mess how player has arranged other,
otherwise unchanged, cities.

I think the problem as started by r15403 adding map_clear_border() and
map_claim_border() around the pcity->size reduction.