> 1) Wasn't there even "Last message repeated 2 times" after this?

no

> 2) Are you sure you have a build where you changed LOG_DEBUG to LOG_NORMAL
in use? One of them is logged on LOG_NORMAL level outside the loop even
without any changes to the code.

I have no changes besides 2*LOG_DEBUG in sernet.c

I get the impression that debug level 4 in server does not work. Or there are
no other level 4 messages implemented. As you can see, the only level 4
message displayed ist the "test" that you patched in. I start freeciv-server
on the command line with -d 4, but gtk3 client starts it always with -d 3.

Christian