On 14-01-12 03:20 AM, Michael T. Pope wrote:
> BR#2643 is a new interesting fail following the role changes.  The
> game contains a REF unit that is an armed FreeColonist.  The REF has
> captured a large city, and it looks like the AI is now smart enough to
> arm loose units and use them against the pesky rebels, which I think
> is fair enough.  The trouble is that armed REF units have the
> "infantry" role, so the resource lookup for a suitable image is
> failing (we have:
>
> model.unit.freeColonist.image=resources/images/units/freeColonist.png
> model.unit.freeColonist.soldier.image=resources/images/units/soldier/soldier.png
> model.unit.kingsRegular.image=resources/images/units/kingsRegular.png
> model.unit.kingsRegular.infantry.image=resources/images/units/infantry/kingsRegular.png
>
> ...but not "model.unit.freeColonist.infantry.image").
>
> The bug reporter is playing from trunk, so I do not want to see him
> blocked by something where there is a simple workaround, so I have
> committed the obvious quick-and-dirty solution of adding "infanty" and
> "cavalry" resources for the ordinary units (git.abefb2d).
>
> However this does not strike me as the Right Thing.  What is the Right
> Thing?  Try alternate roles if resource lookup fails?  Do not use
> "infantry" for non-KingsRegulars?

I'm the bug reporter in question. I actually played through the
invisible unit once I figured out what was going on. Another thing came
up while I was playing, which is probably related.

When I finally recaptured the city (which was defended by several dozen
artillery - it should have been able to clobber my attackers before I
had a chance to attack, but that's another story altogether), I ended up
with a number of unarmed King's Regular units. Obviously, I couldn't do
much with them, either. (They turned invisible when I armed them.)
However, it seems to me that I shouldn't have been able to capture them
in the first place.

The other thing about that is why was it arming free colonists rather
than the King's Regulars that it had? It would seem prudent to arm the
strongest fighters rather than the weakest ones.