Kim,

For posterity, please include the main developer mailing list in all
non-sensitive discussions.

Generally speaking new contributors are required to fork the FreeCol
repository and submit a pull request or even a patch via the SourceForge UI.
The developer guide LaTeX file is available at https://sourceforge.net/p/
freecol/git/ci/master/tree/doc/developer.tex though I don't know if there a
PDF available of the most current version. You may need to create the PDF.

Once established, users are often given read/write access by a project
administrator, most likely Mike Pope. I would assume that all of your
students are going to sign up for an SF account so that `git blame` works
properly.

Hopefully Mike will chime in if he has a better way to manage a new group
of contributors. My opinion is that the more help, the better. The more
sets of eyes, the more potential fixes can be added to the code base.

Thanks,

 - Caleb