> [D Blakeley:]
> However before I submit his work into github there's an issue I need
> Mike/Stian
> guidance on. Stian posted in Mazim's thread that the mod needs to be in zip
> format
> for the game to use it which was a bit of a surprise as all the existing 3rd
> party
> mods with freecol are not zipped and are just loaded from folders. [...]

No, we should distribute mods as normal folders when they are included in
FreeCol itself.

ZIP files should be used when distributing the mod in other places ... like the
forum. The advantage of having a ZIP file (instead of RAR or other formats) is
that you can just place the file in the mods directory without unpacking
(although there are some issues with that right now, as mentioned in the bug
report).

> JAVA 11 REQUIREMENT ISSUES:

The best solution for our users would be offering separate installers where a
minimized Java Runtime is included ... and recommend those installers to people
who don't know what Java is. I think this would only be needed for Windows and
macOs.

The simplest approach is most likely building separate packages for Windows and
macOs rather than having a multi-platform installer. We should probably change
to platform specific installers instead of the Java-based on we are currently
using.

This is definitely something we should fix before the 1.0 release of FreeCol.

Best wishes,
Stian Grenborgen