Do not use periods in the hostname.
The hostname is being used to create the Name in tinc.conf
However man tinc.conf contains this

     Name = name [required]
This is the name which identifies this tinc daemon. It must be unique for the virtual private network this daemon will connect to. The Name may only consist of alphanu-
             meric and underscore characters.

If Name starts with a $, then the contents of the environment variable that follows will be used. In that case, invalid characters will be converted to underscores. If Name is $HOST, but no such environment variable exist, the hostname will be read using the gethostnname() system call.

Also for a new network from scratch use --add instead of --new.

Still looking at tinc_rollout.

This email was sent using an existing tinc network which includes a self hosted mail server on a vps. The ip address of the mail server is 10.9.5.2, now waiting for my copy of this email back to see what the headers are.