On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:18:49 +0100 (MET), Eric Auer wrote:

At first glance the analyzed payload of this "HighPoint IDE 386" thing
looks like something which hooks int 13h (BIOS disk services) and hides
the first 2 sectors on the disk from the user, both in CHS and LBA mode.
I think the first 2 sectors will contain some kind of driver which you
will only be able to see if you do not boot that HighPoint thing  - or
if you disable it later. Or if you use FreeDOS UDMA driver :-).

The HighPoint controller is integrated into the BP6 main board and its BIOS is integrated into the main BIOS, so they have no reason to do such magic. Their real driver is in resident BIOS!

Actually the latter is dangerous! Loading the driver makes the drive
contents "jump" back to their original position, which can be very
confusing for all software which accesses the drive.

You don't miss a chance to "sting" UDMA, but alas, you're wrong again! If there is some sector shifting, the read & compare test of UDMA will fail and it just won't load. So, no danger here. But Erwin has been one of UDMA testers and UDMA *does* work on his machine! What a surprise ;-)

And last not least, the HighPoint controller does UDMA itself, so even this is not needed ;-)

This reminds me of our Bulgarian "policemen in the bus" joke (I can tell it if you want ;-)

Lucho

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials Free Linux tutorial presented by Daniel Robbins, President and CEO of GenToo technologies. Learn everything from fundamentals to system administration.http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1470&alloc_id=3638&op=click _______________________________________________ Freedos-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-devel