Hi,

Alain has introduced in this mail something interesting that was introduced in other posts too: the spec mentions a kernel compatible to MS-DOS 3.30, but actually I think that our current FreeDOS kernel is closer to 5.0 and sucessors than 3.30. Also 3.30 and 5.0 have many differences in data structures and such. Perhaps we should have other thread to see if it would be time to upgrade the spec? (before DOS disappears forever on the computing world ;-)).

Alain escribió:

DOS 6.0 not really - our EMM386 is limited,

Not so much anymore :)

For me, VCPI is the contribution of the year, thanks Michael!!

MEMMAKER not existing at all,

emm... set for post-1.0 already ;-)

(and maybe add a network drive

Well, I leave this discussion for post-1.0 ;-)

> if you are willing to go that way, Andreas is working on an IP driver for DOS/Win/Linuix which is great (I am using it) and would be free for FreeDOS.

I think we can call FreeDOS a clone of MS DOS 5.0 features with many goodies
from later Win/DOS versions inside but with still a few DOS 5.0 features
missing - some "legacy" ones do not hurt,

> My point of view is: "can we use it to run the programs I want?"

Read above.

some others like Win 3.11 compat
should probably be fixed before we call it FreeDOS 1.0 ...

There is probably a patent to prevent us of it anyway :(

I don't think so... Did it prevent DR-DOS from doing that anyway? I think it's just a question of misscompatibilities here or there...

Aitor