At 09:21 PM 3/29/2004 +0200, Bernd Blaauw wrote:

>>Not yet, looks like it should be.  I'll see about it, read what MS docs say about
>>the option.  Should be a reasonably quick add, since it's awfully close to NOEMS in
>>a lot of behaviors.
>
>suggested using FRAME=NONE to Erwin, since he needs to limit VCPI to 2MB, but NOEMS
>makes 32MB on his 512MB machine. NIOS doesn't like it. So, instead, don't use NOEMS
>but EMM=2048.
>if not using NOEMS, EMS is provided.
>And if EMS is provided, 64KB UMB-space is used for pageframe.
>Unless FRAME=NONE is possible.

Yeah, NIOS is why I want to add FRAME=NONE.  I'd also like him to narrow down exactly
where NIOS kicks out on the EMM= setting.  I may throttle the VCPI reserve to the
lower of 1/16th extended or 2M, although I don't much like to since it's such an
elegant solution otherwise -- at least until or if the EMS and XMS pool is changed to
a shared one.  The problem with not saving any VCPI reserve is that there exist DOS
extended applications which will only allocate from the VCPI reserve and not XMS, so I
have to give more than just bit of K to VCPI or they die.  Hopefully 2M or so will be
enough for those guys.  Think Bart had a tested application like that, will have to
ask him to retest if I lower the VCPI reserve and make sure all his apps still work.

>by the way, would that limit his available XMS to 32MB?
>(since you said EMS/VCPI takes 1/16th, and 2MB is 1/16 of 32MB)

Nope.

>perhaps a switch for HIMEM is a lot easier for limiting the available extended memory
>that EMM386 can use
>(nnnn in MBs, top is 4096 or 2048, bottom is 1MB or 2MB) : /MAXMEM=nnnn
>or rename it to /NOABOVE16=nnnn  :)
>(but what's the current upper-limit for /NOABOVE16 without a value? 16MB? 64MB?)

63M is around the maximum for /NOABOVE16 which is counterintuitive from the expected
16M, but you have to blame Microsoft for that one.