At 02:03 AM 7/6/2004 +0400, Arkady V.Belousov wrote:
Hi!

5-éÀÌ-2004 01:15 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Devore) wrote to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

MD> DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\HIMEMORY\EMM386 FRAME=NONE EMM=1024

     Michael, what about testing edition of EMM386 (which fills last para
of included area by specific values)?

Probably better handled by a stand-alone program which directly allocates and writes to UMB's rather than pumping up the resident size of EMM386 for limited testing at startup. Stand-alone app is more flexible and provides much easier debugging for any problems uncovered.

     Also, now you may not replace A000 starting limit by A001 (and even
join this memory area to base memory). With older kernels version users may
use A001 explicitly to overcome its bugs.

I will not change the A000 to A001 code since I didn't write it, the code is not part of anything I've worked on, and it's closely tied to the kernel operation. Given the ongoing state of affairs between those who originally wrote that code and yourself, plus past remarks here from others, I'm uncertain of the chances of modifying EMM386 to match your wishes, but if you think it appropriate I'd recommend asking Tom Ehlert or any of the other original authors (whomever they might be) about making the change. I already have enough stress in my life rather than get in the middle of that debate -- or anywhere within ten miles of it.

     Also, EMM386 doesn't support RAM option. This was "surprised" me when I
test both MS-EMM386 and your EMM386. And this causes question from user
(which ask me directly in email about this).

RAM is an obsolete option that the I= and X= options perform much more efficiently and with greater flexibility. Most people still using RAM probably don't understand what they are doing with EMM386 very well and either are failing to fully utilize free UMB space or are exposing themselves to a greater risk of UMB conflicts.

It necessary, RAM can be completely emulated within the command line parser via internal mapping to I= and X= options. It wouldn't take a lot of time to implement.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email sponsored by Black Hat Briefings & Training. Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training, Las Vegas July 24-29 - digital self defense, top technical experts, no vendor pitches, unmatched networking opportunities. Visit www.blackhat.com _______________________________________________ Freedos-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-devel