I would suggest to point our attention to the Kernel here.

I received emails of NwDsk-users complaining that my boot disks
hang when using "DOS=HIGH".
According to one user FreeDOS fails on an IBM ThinkPad T40
when using "DOS=HIGH" in config.sys.
Another user reports that FreeDOS bootdisks fail on VMware 4.5.x
when using "DOS=HIGH".
I cannot confirm this myself, since on my hardware there are
no problems.

But combined with the remarks here by Bernd (see below)
I am starting to beleive we have a problem with moving
Kernel stuff to HMA.

Anyone with a Thinkpad that can verify here?

Erwin

> I can confirm Jeremy's conclusion that DOS=HIGH affects HTMLHELP. I
> changed DOS=HIGH,UMB into ;DOS=HIGH DOS=UMB
... snip ...
> I am not sure why DOS=HIGH, XMS-driver or A20 (BIOS A20 method is used
> in Vmware) have any effect. clean-boot ofcourse does not have any
> HIMEM or DOS=HIGH setting.
... snip ...