At 10:15 PM 6/7/2005 -0300, Alain  wrote:

I just made some tests with UDMA2 and had some unexpected results:

Why is FreeDOS so much slower (60% no UDMA, 14% with UDMA)???
Is this consistent with other experiments?

Virtual 8086 mode hurts disk I/O throughput. Not really sure why all the details, and not sure it can ever be mitigated. If you don't use UDMA and you need fastest speed always, skip EMM386 loading. It's not clear if VME, virtual mode extension support in later processors, would make any significant difference, either.

If you have Microsoft EMM386, try the same speed test. It would be interesting to see if they have a way around the problem.