Hi Paul:

I usually do the creation from Windows.  Here is the batch file I
use to run mkisofs for my bootable FreeDOS CD's:

cd Alpha3.0
..\..\cdrtools\mkisofs -o ..\alpha30.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table .
cd ..

Notice that the two lines starting with ..\ are a single line.  This
assumes mkisofs is in a directory called cdrtools, obviously.
The directory structure of Alpha3.0 is:

 Directory of E:\Personal\Dual Boot and DOS Tools\NTFS4DOS\Alpha3.0

07/29/2005  08:09 AM    <DIR>          .
07/29/2005  08:09 AM    <DIR>          ..
07/29/2005  08:09 AM    <DIR>          isolinux
               0 File(s)              0 bytes

Directory of E:\Personal\Dual Boot and DOS Tools\NTFS4DOS\Alpha3.0\isolinux

07/29/2005  08:09 AM    <DIR>          .
07/29/2005  08:09 AM    <DIR>          ..
07/29/2005  08:33 AM            10,440 isolinux.bin
06/17/2005  02:49 PM            19,124 memdisk
07/29/2005  08:09 AM                94 isolinux.cfg
07/29/2005  08:20 AM         1,474,560 alpha30.img
               4 File(s)      1,504,218 bytes

The contents of isolinux.cfg are:

default FreeDOS

label FreeDOS
    kernel memdisk
    append initrd=alpha30.img

Bernd can help with his batch files.  If the version he has of mkisofs
doesn't run correctly (though I think it will), you can get the
one I use (as part of cdrtools) from:

http://smithii.com/?q=node/view/9

Mark

Paul Jessup wrote:
Well, I did that (using the program you suggested), but now when I run makeiso I get "error 4" without any other details. The change I made was very simple- just made 9 the default menu choice. I did this first as a dry run.

Paul M. Jessup
Lake Erie College Of Osteopathic Medicine
1858 West Grandview Blvd.
Erie PA-16509-1025
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mark Bailey wrote:

Hi Paul:

Well, the FreeDOS Beta9SR1 CD is set up to use ISOLINUX and
MEMDISK to boot a 360K floppy disk image called FDBOOT.IMG.

This floppy disk image contains a file called "FDCONFIG.SYS"
that sets up the initial menus and then invokes fdauto.bat.

What you want to do is to create a new bootable floppy disk
image (I usually use 1.44 MBytes) configured the way you want
it, including a CD driver, and create a new iso image that
boots that image.  The key files are in the isolinux directory
on the CD:  isolinux.bin, isolinux.cfg, makeiso.bat,
buildcd\mkisofs.exe, data\memdisk and the floppy disk image
in data\fdboot.img.

I use a neat free program called VFD (Virtual Floppy Driver) to
manipulate floppy disk images under WindowsXP, but you could
use a real floppy disk as well.

Is this enough information to get you started?

I'm sure Bernd will weigh in shortly...

Mark

Paul Jessup wrote:

A video game Live CD that automatically boots and then runs the game. Something like KnoppixMame or AdvanceMame, but using FreeDOS instead of Linux.

I've got it working (the game recompiled fine under DJGPP), but the question I have is for the startup menu questions. I want users to just jump directly into the game, and not have to choose to run FreeDos from the CD or install it into their hard drive (ie: always running it on the CD).

How would I go about chaning this?