Mark Bailey wrote:

Good day, all:

If doing a "DIR A:" on a floppy disk with no visible files,
or a hard disk partition with no files, the DIR command does
not print the line showing the number of bytes free.

This appears to be intended in the routine dir_print_body
from the file dir.c.

Note that E_Other is defined as "2" in command.h and
print_total would typically return "0".  So, if the
filecount is zero, rv is set to E_Other and
the summary line from dir_print_free is not output.

  if(optS) {
    if(filecount)
        rv = print_total(filecount, bytecount);
    else {
        error_file_not_found();
        rv = E_Other;
    }
  }
  if(!rv)
    rv = dir_print_free(*dircount);

Is this the intended behavior?  I found it confusing and
MSDOS prints "File not found" and the number of bytes free.

Mark Bailey

I thought DOS (at least older versions) did not print free space unless at least one file was displayed. This may have changed (or my memory is wrong). Assuming my memory is not wrong (and based on the way it is coded) this does appear to be intended behavior.

If there are no objections?  Are there any?
I would be more than happy to apply a patch that displayed the free space even if the directory is empty (it should take care to handle errors gracefully still).

Jeremy