At 06:36 PM 7/28/2006 +0400, Arkady V.Belousov wrote:
>Hi!
>
>MD> emmx220.zip, EMM386 version 2.20 memory manager, mostly executable files;
>
>      One more place:
>
>7. Code below is buggy (counted not expected bits - should be used SHL
>    instead SHR) or redundant (result is always zero additions):

There!  Right there!  Whatever you're doing there, keep it up.  You have
CR's in your e-mail message.  I can read the thing.  It's the only one I
can read without copying the contents into a text editor and farting around
with the text.

(I see SourceForge just now posted another e-mail you sent on a topic prior
to to EMM386's latest release.  And is holding two more of mine.  Well,
you'll probably read this sometime this weekend.)

Here's the thing about any code associated with CheckBlockIntegrity:  it
probably doesn't matter much.  The function was a quick hack added early on
when I was debugging.  It's a last ditch effort to not have invalid control
values for the various blocks lock up the machine or chew through internal
structures without any policing.  The function is only called when bad
things have already happened -- it can't actually fix them because it
doesn't know why invalid values are present, it just makes the values it
sees not impossible, and as close to what is expected as can be.

In fact, in later debugging I simply breakpointed on CheckBlockIntegrity's
entry and backtraced to what triggered the call to find a bug.

CheckBlockIntegrity shouldn't be called anywhere unless things have already
gone bad, but if it is, then the priority for fixing its code needs to be
bumped up.  Anyway, I originally planned to remove the function and calls
to it in a later revision.  The policing of values is nice, but there are
so many millions of other ways to crash DOS, I'm not convinced it's useful.