Hi!

17-Авг-2006 14:08 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tom ehlert) wrote to "Arkady V.Belousov"
<freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>:

>>      But how you found this?!
te> by trying these 2 versions. one works, the other doesn't

     But how you found working version?!

>> And what you found? Do you found (with help of
>> debugger?), that "popf" restores not the same value, as "pushf"? And do you
>> try to disasm BIOS INT15 entry to check, what precisely "damages" flags?
te> how would this help ?

     Knowledge of bug reasons, symptoms and ways of workaround may allow
avoid interfere with same (or similar) bugs in future. Or, studying bug
reasons, you may found, that bug resides in other place.

te> this is a definitiv BIOS bug. Scince I found a way to live with it
te> without major disadvantages, case closed.

     You may guarantee, that you just not "shift" this bug effects in other
areas (where they are no so noticeable and/or less dangerous)?

>> More details, please!
te> for your interest, or for what other reason ?

     Both.

>>      Unless found precise reason, there are no assurance, that your patch
>> fixes (not masks) anything
te> it masks *this* bug. there is no general way to fix BIOS bugs.

     Of course, there are no general ways, but we talk about concrete bug.

>>      And? Why return address isn't damaged? Let me ask again:
te> ask [EMAIL PROTECTED]

     There is not enough details to direct questions at given address. After
all, Michael already scold Japhet for not enough details and test cases.