At 09:52 PM 8/17/2006 +0200, tom ehlert wrote:
> > I was a bit worried about the return address getting munged myself,
> > but the fact of AX modification is a good reason for why the BIOS bug
> > didn't keep biting, and the first patched worked.
>
>the 'first patch' actually was the original - from the good old times
>before Michael entered, and I was sole maintainer of HIMEM.
>
>I don't know why pushf/cli/popf got even in there, as for any
>selfrespecting BIOS, this should have *exactly* no effect (interrupts
>are disabled by INT 15, and restored by iret)
>
>So I assume that pushf/cli/popf got there in the first place because
>some buggy real world bios was detected to
>
>    int15handler:
>       sti
>       stc     (or whatever flags should be returned)
>       retf 2
>
>and to fix this bug.

Yeah, I don't know.  The code shouldn't have changed without a
reason.  Don't know whether it came before or after the great A20 test-off
we had here, perhaps during.  I think I remember there being BIOS's which
did a RETF 2 instead of an IRET, and maybe they had side-effects similar to
the one you describe.

Someone who had the time and wanted to do archive-diving back through 2-4
years of software versions and posts might be able to locate the exact
change and why, but since it shouldn't matter either way to a non-buggy
BIOS, I'm fine with it.