At 09:40 PM 8/21/2006 +0200, Bernd Blaauw wrote:
>EMM386 already has the ability to detect Vmware (some magic backport),
>so EMM386 can set the proper option (be it ALTBOOT or NOALTBOOT) default
>for VMware. The detection ability has been used to exclude some UMB
>range previously (and might still be)

Yeah, Eric wanted me to tie ALTBOOT defaults to that VMware code.  But I
don't know of any way to reliably detect Qemu and Ensemble.  Plus whatever
number of other applications have problems with it.

I'll have a chance to check the port thing in an hour or two, see if Qemu
and Ensemble work.  If I can get those two working with the ALTBOOT code,
that will be sufficient to make me reset the default back.

At this rate, I'll be on the list until Christmas.  Hippie love is already
beginning to fade.