Hello Arkady

Arkady V.Belousov wrote:

> 1. how to pause output? Outside Windows I may press Pause key - how in QEMU?
>    For example, I wish pause at some point, before screen content is
>    replaced by next output...
>
> related question:
The usage of the console (Ctrl-Alt-2) command "stop" and "cont" isn't
practical. I'm too unable to use the "pause" key in QEmu :(

> 2. how to scroll (view previous) output? freedos.img outputs too much,
>    thus making most its output useless, unless it may be studied. ^Up, ^PgDn
>    in main console (^Alt-1) doesn't work.
The screen provided by QEmu isn't a console screen. It's the output of
the emulated graphic card. Therefor, it doesn't have a buffer to scroll.
Maybe, there is the possibility to reroute the output to the serial
interface and write this into a file or tail tool. Never tried this before.

> 3. how to copy files to images or create non-empty images (from hard-drive
>    directories)? For example, I wish to update kernel.sys or command.com -
>    how?
See point 4.

> 3.1. I was try "-fda fat:subdir", but freedos.img doesn't shows ("dir a:")
>    content of subdir (it think, there are no diskette). "-hdb fat:subdir"
>    also not helps - "dir d:" shows "no files". The more so, "dir c:" also
>    shows "no files"!
Maybe like "-hda vvfat:local_directory/". Do a google for it or check
the manual from QEmu. You need to specify it explicitly when using the
VVFAT.

> More generic question:
>
> 4. how to exchange files inside and outside virtual environment (and/or
>    between real media and QEMU image)?
If you use the RAW disk format, you can use EditDisk / DiskExplorer
("http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA013937/editdisk/index_e.html";). Use
the  "vmware plain disk" format.

If you use the vmware disk format, you can mount the disk images with
the Virtual Disk Driver
("http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vdk.html";).

The QCOW disk format is currently broken in QEmu for Win32.

You can use different utilities to edit floppy images or ISO images und
use them with QEmu.

You can use the VVFAT option from QEmu to mount a local directory. It's
limited to ~500MB max. and maybe buggy.

I personaly use the MS-Client for DOS and mount a share from my Windows
XP host over the network. But this is a little complicated to setup and
a bit slow. You can see my config files under
"http://geodb.org/secB.htm#secB";.

My two cents.

Andreas