Hello Eric,

Eric Auer wrote:
Of course, I agree w/ you, installer batch file contains too many
variables...

> would be nice to always use UPPER CASE for variable names. Some
Yes, it is usual convention in *NIX bash scripts, it _should_ be used in
FreeDOS world!

> distros if wanted. You cannot boot from CD on pre-386 anyway.
Why? I have a XT and 286 machines, I never tried to connect CD-ROM to
them... Is main problem is drivers that support old hardware?

> with 10 choices is shown: EN DE FR PL NL IT SV PT ES RU.
> The 11th choice is "other", showing a much bigger menu...
> The choice is then passed to the REGIONAL batch. This can
IMHO i18n should be done by _POST_install_ scripts. Anyone who want to
install FreeDOS should, at least, _read_ English documentation/help/etc.
  and _understand_ _what_ instaler ask. IMHO it is better to write
several  help pages about installing FreeDOS in different languages
(like DE, ES, RU, etc... I could help w/ writing Russian help...) and
put them on freedos.org After installing a system user could choose
preferred language...

> there should NOT be a pre-made choice "install all the
> sources". No Linux distro would include such a choice.
You speak about Linux distros... Interesting... I use Slackware for
about 2 years. Why? I have not only working system, but a _sources_ for
every package, even for bootdisks. I could recompile any program for my
needs. For example, I could (and I did) recompiled GCC with AVR support.
So (IMHO!), all sources should be installed *if user requests that* (by
checking _one_ checkbox).

> are installed on FAT drives. Also does metakern again??
Why metakern? There is a port of GRUB for DOS. Installing GRUB as
default bootloader would be a nice idea...

> of fdfullws might consume 100s of megabytes. Remember
> that this includes "source of openwatcom" etc ;-). I do
About Open Watcom... Can we use it as main FreeDOS C compiler (like GCC
in Linux systems)? Now we have many packages that require OW, GCC, BCC,
TCC, Digital Mars C, etc. for compilation. Also porting all assembler
sources to NASM is a good idea. Any FreeDOS user (if he want) should be
able to recompile _any_ program.

> think that there should be a choice "install everything
> which can be installed without INTERNET connection":
IMHO it is better to document which packages require internet
connection. Installation program should warn if any selected package
require such connection.

> which tried to download additional files got stuck at
> some point sooner or later :-(.
<offtopic> Can I include proprietary drivers (such as aspi or network
drivers) in *GPLed* FreeDOS distribution? Or I should made that
distribution free for any non-commercial use? </offtopic>

--
Oleg O. Chukaev