Hypothesis:

Implementing an Installed Application Database along with an associated install
API would make installing applications easier (perhaps somewhat akin to
Windows).

What I've learned:
Each application comes packaged in a ZIP file that contains a text file with a
list of conflicting applications, prerequisite applications, and suggested
configuration settings/memory requirements. Does the present installer have a
means of locating said conflicting applications and checking prerequisites?

What I am suggesting:
Nothing overly complex, but perhaps a flat file database that can list
applications as they are installed. I looked at the INSTALL.LOG file and the
options of FDPKG. What I would be suggesting would be something along these
lines....

C:\>PKGMGR   <---- just chose that since FDPKG was in use
FreeDOS Package Manager v x.xx

File Maintenance Options Help

Currently installed packages/applications

   + FreeDOS 1.0
   + FreeDOS GEM <---- repackaged for PKGMGR but basically Shane's OpenGEM
   + Random Application

Use arrow keys to select pages

File Menu
  Exit (Obvious)
Maintenance Menu
   Change/Remove Application (existing apps on the computer)
   Install New Program (even if it is not a PKGMGR installer, this can track
the changes for later removal)
   Add/Remove FreeDOS components (Devel tools, Language support, etc)
Options Menu
   Tracking (track 3rd party installs on/off)
    Basically log the changes each install makes to config.sys autoexec.bat to
facilitate easier removal (basically makes a copy before install and creates a
DIFF file)
Help Menu
  Self explanatory

I think the hardest part would be tracking the changes on
autoexec.bat/config.sys which I think would require PERL or awk to process.