Hi Antony (please use plain text mail without html!),

> Implementing an Installed Application Database along with an associated
> install API would make installing applications easier (perhaps somewhat
> akin to Windows).

There is not an API but a tool. We do have that tool. It does have an
installed application database, too.

> Each application comes packaged in a ZIP file that contains a text file
> with a list of conflicting applications, prerequisite applications, and
> suggested configuration settings/memory requirements. Does the present
> installer have a means of locating said conflicting applications and
> checking prerequisites?

Yes it does.

> Nothing overly complex, but perhaps a flat file database that can list
> applications as they are installed. I looked at the INSTALL.LOG file and
> the options of FDPKG. What I would be suggesting would be something
> along these lines....

I believe FDPKG has an option "list installed applications".
This option basically gives you a directory listing of LSM
files, along with selected lines from those files ;-).

> Currently installed packages/applications
>    + FreeDOS 1.0
>    + FreeDOS GEM
>    + Random Application
> Use arrow keys to select pages
>    Change/Remove Application (existing apps on the computer)
>    Install New Program (even if...)

Sounds complicated to track non freedos apps. Would be
better to do this manually. If you download a foreign
zip and unzip it, you will very often rename and move
files manually after unzipping.

>    Add/Remove FreeDOS components (Devel tools, Language support, etc)
> Options Menu
>    Tracking (track 3rd party installs on/off)
>     Basically log the changes each install makes to config autoexec
>     to facilitate easier removal (basically makes a copy before install
>     and creates a DIFF file)

> I think the hardest part would be tracking the changes on
> autoexec/config which I think would require PERL or awk to
> process.

The whole project can be pretty complex. It would be a mix of
the existing TEXTINST, the existing FDPKG and maybe FDUPDATE,
some nice user interface and several new things. You do not
need Perl (but there is Perl for DOS) if you only want to run
DIFF :-).

Eric