From: Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com>
To: Jim Michaels <jmich...@yahoo.com>; freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Thu, May 13, 2010 5:58:45 PM
Subject: Re: [Freedos-devel] freedos emulation under 64-bit windows 7

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Jim Michaels <jmich...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I did more research I and I heard some rumblings about windows 7's "Windows
> XP Mode".
> it turns out it's a Windows Virtual PC that emulates XP yet provides access
> to your devices.  I don't know what kind of filesystem access it provides.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/faq.aspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/
> and, it's 32-bit always.  so I think i'm covered if I get a 64-bit 7 box.
>
> the only issues left are the filesystem virtual store.  if anything ever
> touches c:\program files\ and it doesn't have a manifest, or something is
> trying to write data there, the app gets shuffled off to the virtual store
> area.  this has been happening since vista.
>
> what I don't know is, will xp mode share filesystems with windows 7? that is
> VERY important.  I need to be able to share data in at least SOME way.  does
> anybody know whether it can do this?
>
> best case: share NTFS
> next best case: share FAT32
> worst case: burn a cd. (sneakernet)  very wasteful.

So you believe various things that aren't true, you're not actually
listening to what we tell you, and you aren't willing to actually try
stuff out for yourself.

Why are you bothering to ask?

We have told you already.

VirtualPC works and does what you want. It's free. It will cost you
nothing to try it.

VirtualBox works and does what you want. It's free. It will cost you
nothing to try it.

VMware Player & VMware Server work and do what you want. Both are
free. They will cost you nothing to try.

Stop asking questions, *read the answers* and *go try these products*.
Make your *own* decisions about what you like, don't believe in all
the hearsay and reports on the web.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lpro...@gmail.com
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508