On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Jim Michaels <jmich...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> can you point me to an emulator that has windows binaries that can be used
> by a business person for more than personal use
>
> virtualbox isn't going to do it

Why not? It works just fine on Windows, I've used it.

> especially since the GPL better-licensed
> Open Source Edition isn't made to compile under windows.

Wouldn't know, never tried.

> oracle - sigh.

Too soon to blame them. I'm not aware of any changes to VBox due to
Oracle as of yet.

> yes, I am trying to use legacy DOS programs in win7.  I personally think
> they will only work in 32-bit 7.  most systems you buy on the market today
> are 64-bit (for obvious reasons).

You can run 32-but OSs on 64-bit kit, of course. And you can dual boot
Win64 and Win32.

> so it looks like I may have to use a working emulator.  maybe.

Well you won't get far if you keep rejecting the ones people are offering you.

> qemu (dur to some of its content) and virtualbox are out (due to lack of
> windows support)

VirtualBox has good Windows support. Download it from the same site as
any other version.

Microsoft VirtualPC also works fine on Win7/64 and will run DOS, Win3,
Win9x, WinNT and Win2K/XP.

> maybe I will go with some version of vmware.

VMware Server is free but clunky. Player works but can't create VMs.

You can run both, create VMs under Server and run under Player. Bit
roundabout but it works.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lpro...@gmail.com
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508