On Sat, 27 Nov 2010, Eric Auer wrote:

> You could even have a separately loaded CON driver that
> keeps a full unicode font in XMS (with some caching of
> recently used sections in faster memory maybe?).

That would be something like what DOS/V does.  It switches to VGA 640x480
mode and emulates the standard 80x25 console (with a larger 8x19/16x19
font), with the font stored in XMS.  It would be quite difficult, I
suppose, to implement, and all the TUI software would break unless it was
coded to expect the possibility of a console being run in Unicode mode, so
it would be necessary to be able to turn it on and off at will (again,
like DOS/V).

-uso.