I think there's an even larger question than the technical implementation, in
summary: Should the translation be "accurate" or should it be "useful"?

Officially, I believe there is a precise one-to-one relationship between
ASCII and Unicode, but there are dozens of Unicode characters that "look
like" each ASCII character.

In my UNI2ASCI program (included with my USB drivers) the translation
tables, perhaps, go overboard.  If it receives a UniCode character that
looks (to me) to be close enough to one of the ASCII characters, or a
"string" of ASCII characters, that I think it can be "reasonably"
represented on screen, it gets translated.  UNI2ASCI only translates one way
(UniCode to ASCII), only works with Code Page 437, and is not one-to-one (a
single UniCode character may be translated into a "string" of ASCII
characters).

Keeping this type of translation table totally in memory is probably
impractical because of the amount of memory that would be needed.  However,
I think this type of translation should at least be an option available to
the user.

***

>From a technical perspective, you will also at a minimum need to concern
yourself with translating strings vs. translating single characters (UniCode
strings can/should include an Endian-defining character at the beginning, as
well as needing to define how the length of the string is determined), UTF-8
vs. UTF-16 vs. UTF-32, and Big- vs. Little-endian.  None of this is trivial,
and I think this is WAY too complicated to be in the kernel -- it should be
a separate program/driver.

Bret