On 7/2/2011 7:42 PM, Bernd Blaauw wrote:
> Op 3-7-2011 1:54, François Revol schreef:
>> Any of those two supports IPv6 ? So FreeDOS can survive the IPcalypse :D
> Don't think so.
>
> Stuff I can think of which is missing:
> 1) WGET/CURL
> 2) WOL-client to wake up machines in the network by sending magic packet
> 3) IP v6
> 4) Jumboframes (9000 bytes I think it was?) as MTU
>
> As for the usual rhetoric: "it's opensource, patches welcome, fix it
> yourself if you want more" hehe :)
> Or wait till Michael has time and sees use in adding these things.
>
> As FTP.EXE is a DOS program, and DOS is singletasking anyway, I wonder
> if it uses as big a buffer as it can possibly get (for simplicity's
> sake, all available conventional memory, not bothering with XMS/EMS etc
> as it's a 8086 app) and use it in a beneficial way to speed things up.
> Or maybe it might be limited to a partial buffer, or not benefit from
> going over a specific buffer size.

[1] A fully featured wget will be difficult to get into the memory
space.  I have plans for a simple version that does not recurse, does
not support Unicode, etc.

[2] WOL-client.  Pretty easy, but seems to be of limited use.

[3] IPv6 - this is very feasible.  I started looking at it a few years
ago but did not start coding because IPv6 is not widespread enough for
me to test effectively.  (I have my own network, but I'm waiting for
broader ISP support.)  With IPv6 we will survive the IPocalypse. :-)  [
François - loved that! ]

[4] Jumboframes - unlikely.  That's a packet driver issue and none of
the packet drivers support jumbo frames.  I can change the maximum frame
size fairly easily (it is a #define) but without packet driver support
it is moot.  (Some of the newer cards have packet drivers with source
code available, so maybe it is not so bad.)

There are other issues with jumbo frames.  We might be able to support
them, but getting the performance out of them will be close to
impossible with the way packet drivers work.  If you hardware can do
jumbo frames it might be a better candidate for a small Linux.

FTP uses buffer sizes around 8KB in size, and it is adjustable with an
environment variable.  1KB was too small.  4KB was far better.  16 and
32KB give marginal improvements.  I chose 8KB as a compromise.  (Look at
the docs for the environment variables.)

Mike