Expounding a bit on all the options and variations which have been
presented in this 32- vs. 16-bit debate:

1 - Two separate kernels (one 16-bit and one 32-bit) with a mechanism which
auto-detects what CPU it's running on and launches the appropriate kernel
automatically. Maintains 100% hardware and software compatibility, and
would potentially cut down on bloat since the installer could alternately
detect the user's processor ahead of time and install only the most
well-suited kernel for the user's machine.

2 - A single kernel which contains provisions for both protected and real
modes, auto-detects what CPU it's running on and launches into protected
mode automatically if it's supported but stays in real mode if not.
Maintains 100% hardware and software compatibility at the expense of a
larger kernel.

3 - A single kernel which supports only 386 and newer processors and always
runs in protected mode. Loses hardware compatibility for computers with 286
or earlier processors but maintains 100% software compatibility.

4 - Keep the same great 16-bit kernel we all know and love. Maintains 100%
hardware and software compatibility.

Note that only options 1, 2 and 4 keep 100% compatibility with both DOS
applications and the full range of PC hardware. Option three would
modernize the kernel the most, but I think we all agree we cannot isolate
any members of our installed base like that. None of these options involve
any kind of emulation software, although options 1 and 2 would rely on the
processor's built-in virtual x86 mode which, despite it's name, is not
(strictly speaking) an emulator but simply real mode with the on-chip MMU -
normally deactivated in real mode - left activated.

Not meaning to keep the debate going, just summarizing as it winds to a
close. This has been a most interesting discussion. :)

Merc