Well, I sort-of added localization support to V8Power Tools and part of FDI.

I was going to do it like this;

vlocal file.lng bin\vecho.com ID opt opt opt

But, I changed my mind and built it straight into vecho. So, it looks more like
this:

vecho /t file.lng ID opt opt opt

For example, in the FDI’s setup program stage 300 (the welcome message) it’s
greeting looks like this:

vecho /t %FLANG% HELLO %TFH% "%OS_NAME% %OS_VERSION%" %TFF%

At the point that line is invoked,
%FLANG% points to a file called A:\FDSETUP\SETUP\EN\STAGE300.DEF
%TFF% and %TFH% are color names Black and Red.

The file STAGE300.DEF contains this line:

HELLO="Welcome to the installation program for " /f %1 "%2" /f %3 "."

vecho opens the file, looks up the reference id, translates it by inserting the
parameters,
then treats it as it was provided on the command line. So it is like you ran:

vecho "Welcome to the installation program for " /f Red “FreeDOS 1.1a" /f Black
"."

There main reasons I built it into vecho were:

        It and maybe vstr are the only things that will ever need it.
        Performance and Compatibility, no piping or shelling needed.
        Longer text supported. (127 max command line, 96 in batch filed can be
expanded up to 256 characters.)

All of the file handling and translation stuff added about 1k to vecho though.

Anyhow, I now need to move all of the other text into “translation” files and a
couple other things to complete
localization support.