> On Oct 26, 2015, at 10:57 AM, Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:
>
>>> On Oct 26, 2015, at 10:13 AM, JAYDEN CHARBONNEAU <jcharbonnea...@cpsge.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Somewhere back in the threads,I suggested an EXE installer.It can be made
>>> into one relatively small file,rather than 87 2KB batch files.Batch could
>>> be used more for setting up the extra features EX. Post install,ask the
>>> user if they want to install extra packages
>>

> On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Jerome E. Shidel Jr. <jer...@shidel.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Oh, its only 42 batch files and under 50K total for everything.
>> (not counting OS and V8)
>

> Are you serious with the "only 42 batch files"? What happened to make
> the installer so complicated? I imagined the install process to be a
> simple one: "Do you want to install everything or just BASE?" "Do you
> want to install source code?" Then install.
>
> Yes, there's some setup to make sure C: is ready (FDISK and FORMAT)
> but I wouldn't have imagined the install process would balloon to 42
> batch files. Why so big?

Mostly, for ease of future modifications. It can be done with a single massive
batch file.
But, I think it would be nearly impossible for anyone to understand or modify
it in the
future. So, I broke it up in a logical manner.

More or less something like this:

SETUP.BAT verifies presence  of V8Power Tools, and passes control to the
installer FDSETUP.

FDSETUP, performs some additional testing to make sure the installer can run.
And runs the
main sections of the installer.

STAGE000, sets up default options.
STAGE100, to perform test if current version matches install version.
STAGE200, loads current color and display theme.
STAGE300, Welcome the user offers install or exit.
STAGE400, Prompts to partition if needed and handles partitioning.
STAGE500, Formatting,
STAGE600, Now C exists, it does some stuff to allow advanced V8 stuff to work.
STAGE700, Runs through all Installer questions FDASK*.BAT.
        Mostly, in basic normal mode, only consists of Backup of Old OS if
present.
        Install BASE, ALL w/without sources.

        In advanced mode, also configure target, transfer system files…..

STAGE800, Promtpts it is ready asks to do the install or exit. Then runs
through
        all of the FDINS*.BAT files.

        Make a zip or copy backup.
        Delete onld system files.
        Transfer system files.
        Install Packages from one of the list files.
        Transfer new config files

STAGE900, Says it is complete and offers reboot.
STAGE999, Does batch related cleanup.

With it’s current design, someone could just drop in a new FDINS???.BAT file
that could do something like auto configure networking or something. Without,
touching a single line in the installer.

Also, instead of multiple similar entries, to streamline the source things like
FDICLS.BAT clear the screen and draw the title bar. So, it can just call it
instead of
putting this in multiple times:

REM Clear entire screen (Minus title bar)
vcls /f %TSF% /b %TSB% /c %TSC% /y2 /h24

REM Draw the Title Bar
vgotoxy /x1 /y1
vcls /b %TTB% /f %TTF% EOL
vgotoxy /x30 /y1
vecho /t %FLANG% TITLE %TTF% "%OS_NAME%" %TTH% "%OS_VERSION%"

Being broken up in this way, makes it easy for people to fix, extend and
customize
future versions.

Anyhow, more detailed information is in the very rough draft “Manual”
https://github.com/shidel/FDI/blob/master/README.md
<https://github.com/shidel/FDI/blob/master/README.md>