This is tricky - replacing the MBR when things already work
would be dangerous! It can destroy boot menus and similar.

I would say if there is NO MBR at all yet, it would be okay
to automatically replace it. If there is some MBR, but the
DOS partition is not yet marked as bootable, it would be a
good idea to ASK the user whether that should happen.

Hi Louis :-)

If boot menus are used, MBR should NOT change by default: The
user would have to add DOS to that boot menu MANUALLY. Also,
the users should of course be able to overwrite a boot menu
MBR with a default MBR at their own risk by MANUAL choice.

Note that a boot menu can allow you to install DOS even into
non-primary partitions. However, our SYS might not know which
special boot sector / BPB values are required to boot there.

Non-primary partitions have relative disk position offsets.

This discussion is related to the question whether DOS should
change partitioning during install: I think NOT by default.

We do not have sufficiently modern tools to resize existing
partitions, so changes would often destroy other data. When
DOS is installed to an EMPTY disk or VM, it is of course okay
to replace "no partitions" and install DOS partitions :-) If
other partitions exist, I would ask the user to make some FAT
partition for DOS (with their own tools) and try again later.

Of course the user can always be offered to destroy existing
partitions and use FDISK, if they REALLY want to do that.

Cheers, eric