Hi,

(FYI, I've personally never done a lot of heavy graphics programming,
so I'm just giving general advice here.)

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 9:11 PM, David McMackins <cont...@mcmackins.org> wrote:
> Some web searching has yielded no useful results for my query.

What did you search for? CGA/EGA? MCGA/VGA? SVGA/VESA?

> I'm considering developing some graphical programs for FreeDOS, but I'm
> not sure what graphics APIs are available and documented for it.

The BIOS is fairly limited, IIRC to 640x480x16. You can do better with
VESA, but there is little (if any) hardware acceleration support (e.g.
old VBE/AF via FreeBE/AF [DJGPP]).

> My expertise is in C, but if I can achieve it in Pascal, I'm open to
> getting deeper into it.

For C, it depends on the compiler, naturally. So for something like
DJGPP you can use (old but excellent) Allegro. For C++ (DJGPP) you can
probably use FLTK. There's also a VESA lib for Pacific C (mirrored on
iBiblio).

EDIT: Also found this link, if it helps any:

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/doc/ug/graphics/vesa.html

Pascal? Dunno, there's tons of third-party external units, if TP's
"Graph" isn't good enough. But I'm not sure if they work with all TP
versions (e.g. freeware 5.5 since TPU is usually incompatible). Not
honestly sure what (extra libs) FPC supports, but FPC is probably
preferred overall. (Blocek had some good libs bundled with it.)

http://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/pc/garbo/pc/turbopas/

> What interfaces are available, and/or what documents can I review to learn
> more about
> graphics programming on DOS?

VESA is probably your best bet:

http://ftp.lanet.lv/ftp/mirror/x2ftp/msdos/programming/specs/00index.html

P.S. A lot of old games comes with sources (e.g. Boboli), so you could
study those. Specifically, I mean old '90s-ish DOS games written with
DJGPP, but there are others too, of course (Wolf 3D, Doom, Quake,
Hexen2, ROTT, Duke 3D, Descent).

http://ftp.lanet.lv/ftp/mirror/x2ftp/msdos/programming/gamesrc/