Hi Louis,

> Do you mean something like the SHSU* Image/ISO to RAMDrive utils [0][1][2]
> when you said, " If we had a driver that could directly use  CD/DVD media
> like a hard drive and cache changes to RAM, then things could be different
> and possibly even better"?

The problem is the CACHE CHANGES TO RAM part in the above. The drivers
(shsufdrv, shsucdx) only allow read-only access to CD / DVD as actual
drives or as ISO disk images stored on another local drive.

Examples for what Linux would use for CD/DVD boots with RAM writes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OverlayFS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UnionFS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aufs

This can be combined with compressed read-only systems such as SquashFS
or CramFS. As DOS barely supports any overlay stuff, another question
would be which FreeDOS packages work directly from read-only media. My
guess is: MOST will!

That means that the RAMDISK and RAM requirements for a FreeDOS live CD
can be a lot smaller, because most packages can be used from their pre-
installed instance which can be part of a normal CD / DVD.

Only a few would have to be unpacked to a ramdisk when booting in live
CD mode before they can be used. Even that could be tweaked, for example
by asking the user which 1 of the 3 largest packages among those which
need to be on writeable disk should be installed into the ramdisk.

It would be interesting to see some stats about how much disk space
FreeDOS 1.3 RC1 needs worst case on harddisk (possibly with 32kB per
cluster, too) and how much of that needs to be on writeable media
when considering a live CD. I hope the experts can extract this from
their package list and database. Thanks :-)

Eric