Hi!

First, I have to say I am impressed by Jerome's 486 tinkering :-)

And I can confirm that Brix with PC Speaker sound works on my
actual modern hardware. I just rarely boot into raw FreeDOS :-)

> Instead of an official FreeDOS graphics card, perhaps a standard
> FreeDOS graphics API and/or Window Manager. This would build upon
> the VBE by giving developers a handful of routines callable...

What you describe is best implemented as a library. For example
you do not want to search the list of VESA VBE graphics modes for
a nice true-color LFB mode, or you do not want to have to check
which bit per pixel depth is available. Then you could write a
library which does that for you, something like "specify which
resolution and depth you support at least / at most, then call
the library to get the highest resolution mode in that range" :-)

Actually VESA VBE works quite well, it just is sometimes a bit
tedious to use in protected mode context such as DJGPP GNU C.
Even then, you only have to figure it out once, then enjoy ;-)

Visual effects, scrolling etc. are classic tasks for graphics
libraries. The question is which classic libraries are popular
in DOS and which of them support full HD and higher VESA modes?

It is not common to put such libraries into TSR or drivers in
DOS. The usual way is to just link the library in your binary.

VESA VBE does tend to support high resolution modes, but this
has a tendency to offer mostly 4:3 and classic modes. In modern
times, only OS installers are the target audience. Modifications
of graphics modes on modern hardware (think svgatextmode) can be
VERY vendor dependent and convoluted. You do not want to do that.

Regards, Eric