Hi Paul,

> I now realize it is still an IDE driver, not an AHCI driver like I thought.

> Anyway, I wonder if the kernel itself would be needed to support AHCI mode

The DOS kernel has nothing to do at all with your drive controllers.

DOS either asks the BIOS to read or write sectors (for harddisk and
floppy) or it asks a driver to do that. Drivers can either be the
type which can read or write sectors, or they can be the type which
provides accesss to an opaque filesystem. In the CD / DVD / BluRay
case, you have one filesystem driver (SHSUCDX, MSCDEX etc.) which
talks to another sector driver, because the sectors on a CD / DVD
etc. are not part of a FAT filesystem.

So if you want to access CD / DVD etc. which use some controller
type which is not supported by UDVD2, BIOS or similar, then you
would want a driver which provides sector access for SHSUCDX etc.

Note that BIOS access to CD / DVD normally is only done when you
boot from it: This can be done with the ELTORITO sector driver.

In all other cases, you use UDVD2 or similar sector drivers which
support IDE, SATA and similar controllers :-)

Regards, Eric

PS: There are diskimage type CD / DVD sector drivers, as SHSUCDHD.