Hallo Herr Ralf Quint,

am Montag, 28. Dezember 2020 um 17:06 schrieben Sie:

> On 12/28/2020 2:39 AM, tom ehlert wrote:
>> Hallo Herr Ralf Quint,
>>
>> am Montag, 28. Dezember 2020 um 10:59 schrieben Sie:

>>> Well, it is very simple. There is no such thing under DOS...
>> This almost would have been my answer as well.
>>
>> But I recently learned
>> http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/board_entry.php?id=17354
>> that there exists Borland BGI (Borland Graphics Interface) drivers
>> that are arguably equivalent to DLLs (for Borland compilers) as they
>> are separately compiled binaries.
>> So this is not a DOS, but Borland standard.
>>
>> I know of no other example of this.
>>
> Yeah, that came to my mind too, but then it is commonly referred to as
> drivers, so it is a border line case of this kind of functionality, but
> it is not a "shared runtime library under DOS"...

'drivers' usually refers to functionality available to everyone, and
the interface are defined by the OS.

BGI 'graphic drivers' were only open to Borland compilers; I'd call
them runtime libraries.

but this is more wording then actually functionality difference.
no point to have a long thread discussing this ;)

Tom