Hi Mercury & everybody,

> I noticed a while back that Japheth updated his HiMemX driver, and
> I've finally gotten around to packaging it up for use in FreeDOS.
>
> Also, he's made a new driver which can do what that HiMemX does, and
> more... way more. HiMemSX can access memory above the 4 GiB mark!
> I've packaged it up also, in case anyone (Jerome?) wants to include
> it in the next release or mirror it somewhere other than my site.
>
> Both packaged drivers can be found in the DOS Downloads area at
> mercurycoding.com http://mercurycoding.com/downloads.html#DOS .
That implements a proposed XMS 3.5 interface to support 4 TB
instead of 4 GB of RAM, as far as I remember, with a modified
version of Jack's ramdisk as proof of concept example for what
to do with so much memory. You will probably be ready to keep
updating that package from time to time while initial glitches
get fixed, but it is a good idea to already offer this as an
optional (!) package to motivate others to update drivers and
apps to use the new possibilities :-) Compared to multithreading
and 64-bit long mode projects, XMS 3.5 is very close to normal
DOS style, so making apps use it should work smoothly. I just
fail to find examples for stuff which would need so much RAM.

Cheers, Eric