Hi Eric,

I don't receive gigabytes at once. I have multiple serial lines using a RS485 similar communications method (Master - Slave). The peers can be up to 1KM away. Each line can have up to 50 peers. Each peer is interrupted when it's 9-bit address is called and it starts communicating. All peers are remote from each other but are one system that must work synchronized. The large RAM usage is because the DOS program (the big boss) must make fast decisions depending on things that can have happened some time ago. Also, many peers have so little memory that most of their status is stored by the DOS program and must be available at any time. A disk is too slow.