Hello Everyone,

As you may have noticed in RC4, we decided to reduce the size of the LiteUSB
stick. Since that edition only contains BASE, it can be squeezed onto a 16mb
flash drive or memory car with about 0.5mb of free space leftover. Those who
need to drop some files on a flash drive can use the 512mb FullUSB image. It
has roughly 140mb of unused capacity.

There are pros and cons to using such a small image. I’ll just mention a couple
off the top of my head.

PRO: Although they are becoming more rare, flash storage of that capacity does
still exist. It seems wasteful to force someone to use a larger flash drive
than required.

CON: Flash storage under 1gb are getting rare. It may be much more useful to
users to have that extra free space already on their flash drive without the
need to jump through hoops. Perhaps, maybe even the FullUSB image should be 1
or 2gb leaving tons of free space.

CON: In theory, if the capacity was greater, we could provide a simple tool
(maybe a dozen commands or so in a batch file) that could change the install
media to a working FreeDOS on USB stick.

In an ideal world, the images would “ship” as small as possible. Then we would
have a user friendly multi-platform tool to expand the image to use the entire
capacity of the flash medium. But, we don’t have one. And, I don’t really have
the spare time to do one myself at present.

What are your thoughts on the size and extra capacity for the LiteUSB edition
of the release?

Or maybe, just have a FullUSB edition and there is no point in having a LiteUSB?

:-)

Jerome