> On May 14, 2021, at 5:44 PM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:
>

> Hello Jerome,
>
>> As you may have noticed in RC4, we decided to reduce the size of the LiteUSB
>> stick.
>
> Who are "we”?

we
plural pronoun, possessive our or  ours,objective us.
1. nominative plural of I. <https://www.dictionary.com/browse/i>
2. (used to denote oneself and another or others):
We have two children. In this block we all own our own houses.
3. (used to denote people in general):
the marvels of science that we take for granted.
4. (used to indicate a particular profession, nationality, political party,
etc., that includes the speaker or writer):
We in the medical profession have moral responsibilities.
5. Also called the royal we.  (used by a sovereign, or by other high officials
and dignitaries, in place of I in formal speech):
We do not wear this crown without humility.
6. Also called the editorial we.  (used by editors, writers, etc., to avoid the
too personal or specific I or to represent a collective viewpoint):
As for this column, we will have nothing to do with shady politicians.
7. you (used familiarly, often with mild condescension or sarcasm, as in
addressing a child, a patient, etc.):
We know that's naughty, don't we? It's time we took our medicine.
8. (used in the predicate following a copulative verb):
It is we who should thank you.
9. (used in apposition with a noun, especially for emphasis):
We Americans are a sturdy lot.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/we <https://www.dictionary.com/browse/we>

I do not and will not speak for others. When I say “we", it simply means that
it is not
something I arbitrarily decided.

>> Since that edition only contains BASE, it can be squeezed onto a 16mb flash
>> drive
>> or memory car with about 0.5mb of free space leftover.
>
> That is unnecessarily small. It took me ages to find a second hand 32 MB
> SD card or MMC for experiments - ten years ago! Just let the BASE only
> edition require the drive to be *at least* 64 MB, then there will be
> plenty of temp space on the drive and you exclude almost nobody.
> Because almost nobody has drives smaller than 64 MB anyway :-)
>
> Actually the smallest still working drive that I have for NORMAL use
> is 256 MB and most people would have thrown that away long ago.

The smallest flash memory card I have is 4mb PCMCIA card, some 32 & 64mb
xD cards and a 512mb USB thumb drive. But, I rarely use anything under 8gb
anymore on any kind of regular basis.

But since FULL really isn’y that big and will fit on a 512mb flash drive,
why make LITE require a bigger drive than what it needs? There is about
140mb free space on the FULL image and it is not like it is hard to find a
drive that it can fit onto.

> It is still nice to have a smaller download for people who
> do not need FULL. But as you know, I also think that the
> "lite" USB should not be THAT minimal as 3 ancient MS DOS
> floppy disks were 100 years ago. Keep some nice stuff in.

"What is BASE?” is really a different discussion. Should things that
almost no one uses anymore (like “assign”) still be part of BASE?
Should other things not in BASE now be added? Not bad questions.

> Cheers, Eric

Jerome