Hi Paul,

There are two completely separate FreeDOS File Repositories on IBIBLIO.

There is the “Online Software Repository”. It contains packages that are ready
to use in FreeDOS. Programs that can perform package updates or installations
over the internet point to this section. This packages in this section are also
used by the RBE (Release Build Environment) when creating a FreeDOS release.

Then there is the “Mirrored Files” section. Files in there are not directly
usable by the package managers. They are mirrors of the versions created by
their authors.

> On Jun 9, 2021, at 10:58 PM, Paul Dufresne via Freedos-devel
> <freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> I stumble on:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/repositories/1.3/games/senet.zip
>
> <http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/repositories/1.3/games/senet.zip>
> where LSM file contains:
> Begin3
> Title:          Senet
> Version:        1.0a
> Entered-date:   2020-07-07
> Modified-date:  2021-03-18.0
>
> I believed this is wrong.
> One tend to believe Entered-date, is the first time you create the LSM file,
> so that
> it make sense to add a Modified-date,
>
> but reading: http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/LSM
> <http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/LSM>
> you learn: "Entered-date: Date of when the LSM entry was last modified."
> so it would be an error to add a Modified-date.

First... The LSM doc on the wiki does not exactly reflect the current state of
things. There are several fields in use that are not even referenced in that
doc.

The Modified-date field is not an error. If that field is not present in a
packages meta-data LSM file, it is generated automatically using the current
date.
If for some reason the package required an additional update the same day, the
.0 portion can be incremented to determine the absolute latest version of that
package. In practice... when adding a package to the repository, this field is
not included and is handled by the repository management software. When the
package is mirrored or copied to other servers, the field persists and the LSM
does not need updating.

As for the Entered-Date… If I recall correctly, for some time even before I
started maintaining the repository, that field did not really reflect when it
was modified. In general, it seemed more often to reflect the first time it was
entered into the repository. But, I did not pay much attention to that and
could be wrong.

I have slightly varied the use of the Entered-Date. Originally, I would insure
it was the date it was updated. However nowadays, when I update a package, I
try to use the Entered-Date as the release date for that program.

The Entered-Date field should probably be abandoned in favor of a
“Release-Date” and “Modified-Date” fields.

> I began being suspicious after seeing:
> ---
> https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/fdisk/1.3.3/fdisk133.zip
>
> <https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/fdisk/1.3.3/fdisk133.zip>
>
> have:
> Begin3
> Title:          Fdisk
> Version:        1.2.0
> Entered-date:   03 March 2003
>
> and
> https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/fdisk/1.3.4/fdisk134.zip
>
> <https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/fdisk/1.3.4/fdisk134.zip>
> Begin3
> Title:          Fdisk
> Version:        1.2.0
> Entered-date:   03 March 2003
> ---
> but clearly, here the version have not been updated too.

These are in the “Mirrored Files” section. The metadata in those zip files is
mirrored as-is.

:-)

Jerome