Hi Jeremy,

does that mean the unstable kernel already supported Win 3.1 386enh?

Cool to know :-) How about Windows for Workgroups in 386 mode, which
is "non safe mode" there, so features are lost without it in WfW 3.11?

Thanks for cherry-picking all the relevant patches! I guess the FDPP
kernel of DOSEMU2 will have some more of those for you ;-)

Checking your video, it says kernel 2043 build Jul 24 2021,
but the copyright messages says 1995-2012, probably a typo.

Do you have a link to the relevant patchsets for proof-reading
in case there is a risk of regressions?

I see you are using the Microsoft HIMEM 3.07 (02/14/92), Microsoft
EMM386 4.44 (1991) and Microsoft SMARTDRV, are all of those actually
necessary? I would expect things to also work with HIMEMX or XMGR,
as long as no free EMM386 is loaded at all? Why do you use 4DOS in
the DOS window inside Windows? Any special system.ini [386enh] items?
See my notes below :-) Is setting VERSION=6.0 required, too?

Cool that WIN, WIN /3 and WIN /S apparently all work :-)

Some custom (un-)settings from an old system.ini [386enh] of mine:

; device=lanman10.386
; mouse=lvmd.386
; network=*dosnet,*vnetbios
; old version: device=*vtd new version: device=vtda.386 (in "WW0981" fix)
device=vtda.386
FileSysChange=0
PagingFile=C:\WINDOWS\WIN386.SWP
MaxPagingFileSize=1024
; also: PermSwapDOSDrive=... PermSwapSizeK=...
; disable swapfile stuff:
Paging=0
; prepare for more than 200 breakpoints, 150 is minimum useful:
MaxBPs=768
; better if lots of RAM:
PageOverCommit=1
; equivalent of /D:FSVX
32BitDiskAccess=No
SystemROMBreakPoint=No
VirtualHDIrq=No
; *** EMMEXclude=A000-FFFF
NoEmmDriver=1
IgnoreInstalledEMM=1
WinExclusive=1
;
TimerCriticalSection=10000
DMABufferSize=64
XlatBufferSize=128
KeyBoostTime=.005
MinUserDiskSpace=5120
PageBuffer=32
Com1Buffer=512
ComBoostTime=20
Com1AutoAssign=-1
ScreenLines=50
;
InDOSPolling=1
; P.V.F.: 10, or 0 if share installed
PerVMFILES=0
ReflectDosInt2a=1
INT28Critical=1
; I.V.W.U.T.: 1/2/4/*8*... seconds: how often to pump int 8/1c into idle VMs
IdleVMWakeUpTime=1
; D.P.E.I.: enable to get explanation how to leave DOS box when starting one
DOSPromptExitInstruc=0
; force DMA buffers to be in 1st 1MB range:
DMABufferIn1MB=1

For standard mode, I also had those settings:

[standard]
; Stacks=12 (8..64) StackSize=384 - Settings for DOSX DOS Extender
; Int28Filter=0,1..*10*..: only let through every Nth int 28 ...
Stacks=16
StackSize=512
Int28Filter=1
DOSPromptExitInstruc=0

Note that Windows 3.x all have issues when you have too much
RAM. There are binary patch files for that, but the obvious
other workaround is telling your EMM386 or HIMEM or similar
to not let Windows know how much RAM you really have ;-)

Cheers, Eric