On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 at 15:29, Steve Nickolas <usots...@buric.co> wrote:

> For what it's worth, Windows 3.x comes with its own versions of HIMEM and
> SMARTDRV.  I *think* it also comes with EMM386, but I'm not so sure about
> that one.

It did, yes, and  IIRC there were problems and/or warnings if you used
older DOS versions of these tools that predated $WindowsVersion.

But _later_ DOS versions were fine -- e.g. from MS-DOS 5.

> I think Windows' 386 mode is pretty heavily tied into undocumented
> features of EMM386 when it is active, so it wouldn't surprise me if a free
> version of EMM386 made it go down in flames.

I don't know that for a fact, but it's possible. However it *did* work
fine on DR-DOS' EMM386, and on Quarterdeck's QEMM386 and some other
memory managers, so on the whole I do not think so, no.

I routinely used 3rd party memory managers with Win 3.0, 3.1, WfWg 3.1
and 3.11 because they enabled more free RAM for DOS apps.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lpro...@gmail.com