from Paul Dufresne:

CK18XJ3z3AvBfnljWAMf796346rVTM2GyhX18cbKccZ+PF2SCc8WVh6cNlQd0OOZHCStVzgCrr7fQ7m1f7vjW/dam6WG81EaL6k=

> [-- Attachment #1 --]
> [-- Type: multipart/alternative, Encoding: 7bit, Size: 2.5K --]

> I was testing an old laptop (Thinkpad I think, 2 cores, with a 60 GB hard
> disk).

> I wanted to install a Linux, but as the CPU was 32 bits, I had some
> difficulty finding a 32 bits OS.

> One of my USB keys, had FreeDOS beta on it... so I tried it.

> When installing, I saw (was scrolling fast)... that it was assigning letters
> to a lot (maybe A: to L:), to

> 2 GB hard drives it was detecting. I did not care that much, and tried to
> install on the 2 Gb first disk C:.

> And it installed fine... except not long after I found an other USB key with
> Debian 32 bits and installed it.

> I am pretty sure the laptop have only one 60 GB hard disk and not many 2 GB
> hard disk.

> I came to my mind that maybe the kernel or the installer... knows more than
> me that the BIOS is limited

> to 2 GB, and somehow it chop the disk in 2 GB sub-disks... maybe the BIOS
> itself could do it...

> Have you heard of such things before?

Why do you need to subdivide the 60 GB hard disk into 2 GB partitions?

You can make a partition, like maybe the first, with just under 8 GB and format
FAT32.

I assume the laptop with 60 GB hard disk was designed to be bootable from such
a hard disk and that the boot code would not have to be confined to the first 2
GB?

Tom