Hi Jose,

> On Jan 8, 2022, at 7:46 PM, Jose Senna <jasse...@mail.com> wrote:
>
> Jerome Shidel said:
>
>> REM this thing [[x|4]] or later
>> in one of its remarks. Every time the batch
>> was executed, it displayed a “4]]” command not found error.
>
> It is not a bug, "|" is the sign for a pipe, so the
> parser thinks the output should be piped to 4]].
> Of course, one would expect the line should be
> completely ignored, but perhaps the parser ignores
> the line up to "|".
> I suggest to try some tests with some non-reserved
> character in place of "|" and also other REMmed
> statements inluding the "|" in other places.

For the BAT in question, I did not write it.

I just found myself needing to fix it. I immediately
knew what was happening and swapped out the pipe
for a comma. No more problem in that batch REM
statement.

Since the docs say everything after the REM is ignored,
I feel that the behavior is not consistent with the stated
behavior. So, it is a bug in either the handling of the pipe
in a REM statement. Or, it is a bug in the documentation.

Either way, It is more of a philosophical question.MS-DOS
is NOT bug free and just because happens in MS-DOS,
does that mean it needs to do the same thing in FreeDOS.
Even if it is a bug in MS-DOS?

:-)

Jerome