On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 6:33 AM Jerome Shidel <jer...@shidel.net> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I’ve got a couple thoughts regarding the OS release media I wanted to
> throw out to you all. These are just things I was pondering and by no means
> I’m I saying any of these are going to happen. They are just some ideas I’d
> like to share with you and get feedback on…
>
> As you know, the LiveCD uses multiple boot images. A floppy one that
> starts the Live Environment. A second floppy one that launches directly
> into the installer. Finally, a third small hard disk image to run the
> FloppyEdition installer without need for OS level CD support.
>
> Do you think the FloppyEdition installer should be given it’s own entry in
> the CD boot menu? Or, leave it as an “EasterEgg” boot by selecting the
> copyright notice on the menu?
>
> Personally, I don’t see either as a perfect solution. If it is left as an
> EasterEgg, many people will never know it is there. Don’t forget, that
> installer does not need any OS level CD support. If a machine can boot it,
> it can pretty much install FreeDOS on anything. On the other hand, I think
> moving it to it’s own menu item will just confuse users by having 2
> different “Install FreeDOS options”.
>
> Another possibility is drop the current “Install” option. Replacing it
> with the Floppy Edition. Maybe call it something like “Install FreeDOS BASE
> only.” After all, there is no problem running the primary installer from
> the Live Environment. But again, I think users will pick the wrong thing.
>
> This now brings me to the Legacy CD.
>
> It boots using a different process than the LiveCD (See numerous previous
> posts on those differences). This provides CD booting on a narrow range of
> hardware that can boot from CD but not use the method employed by the
> LiveCD. There is a CD Boot Floppy included in the LiveCD download zip
> archive. So, do we really need to keep the LegacyCD around?
>
> The emulated Floppy the LegacyCD boots is the same as the current LiveCD’s
> boot to install menu option. If the LegacyCD sticks around, the image it
> boot’s could be switched to the one used by the LiveCD’s boot to Live
> Environment. This would provide a Live Environment on that legacy hardware.
> But, then what would we call things. They’d both be LiveCDs.
>
> Finally (at least for now), along with the LiveCD and LegacyCD a CD boot
> floppy image is included. We could include a second floppy image to boot
> the Live Environment when direct booting from a CD is not possible. But, it
> could also cause confusion on what to use or burn to CD or Floppy. So, IDK.
> [..]

On the first one:

> "Do you think the FloppyEdition installer should be given it’s own entry
> in the CD boot menu?"

I think it's better not to hide features - so yes, the FloppyEdition
installer should get its own entry in the CD boot menu. But from your
description, maybe it needs a different name.

On the second one, about the LegacyCD vs boot floppy to use the LiveCD: I
can see benefits to either solution. I'm approaching this from a "what's
easiest for the user" perspective, and I think keeping a LegacyCD is still
a good option rather than pushing those folks to a LiveCD + boot floppy. We
still have the floppy there for the even narrower use case where folks have
a CD in their system but cannot boot from CD - they'll need the boot floppy
to access the CD installer anyway. So I wouldn't change this, at least not
for 1.3 "Final." Might change that for "2.0" or whatever version comes
after "1.3."

Jim