On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 10:41 AM Paul Dufresne via Freedos-devel
<freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>> The branches that receive updates (1.2, 1.3, latest) contain the latest
>> version of the packages that we have created. I don’t see a reason
>> to add a new branch. If we decided to change package file extensions
>> (and possibly format), 1.2 and 1.3 would be detached from Latest. And
>> most likely would receive few if any updates.
>>
>> Jim already provides the ‘raw’ files under a couple directories at
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/ . They are
>> raw mirrors and most are not in package format.  Oh, I was confused
>> thinking latest was not in package format. It is because it is in
>> repositories.  I see that there is less categories in freedos/files
>> than in the repositories however.
>
> I am very surprised that 1.2 and 1.3 repositories are (still unsure)
> symlinks to latest repository.  Because in my mind, you have no right
> to modify 1.2 or 1.3 after they have been released.  But it seems the
> project don't share this mindset.

To clarify, we shouldn't be mixing "1.2" and "1.3" afterwards. Making
updated packages available for "1.2" or "1.3" is one thing, but
pushing package updates from FreeDOS 1.3 to a FreeDOS 1.2 user seems
like the wrong approach in maintaining a distribution. If someone has
installed FreeDOS 1.2 and then updates to the latest packages in
"1.2", then they shouldn't get packages from FreeDOS 1.3 which could
have some differences in paths and other assumptions. (I know that
mixing packages shouldn't be a problem, but I think it's cleaner to
keep "1.2" as "1.2", and "1.3" as "1.3".)

But it looks like we do that in Ibiblio. I didn't realize that was the
setup. Here's what I see on Ibiblio:

$ ls repositories/ -l
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 12 freedos users 4096 May  8  2016 1.1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 freedos users    6 Nov 20  2018 1.2 -> latest
lrwxrwxrwx  1 freedos users    6 Nov 20  2018 1.3 -> latest
drwxr-xr-x 18 freedos users 4096 Mar 28 03:05 latest

I wonder if there's a way to revert this on Ibiblio so we don't "mix"
the updates from FreeDOS 1.2 and 1.3?

Or is it too late to do that?

Jim