Hi Adam,

> On Mar 29, 2022, at 9:24 AM, Adam Peart <d...@capprogramming.com> wrote:
>
> If you had the base install by default, and gave the option to install the
> separate categories as options that would work.  If you wanted go go into
> more details then you could list each item in each category and let people
> choose individually, but that would probably be too much work for the
> installer and for the user. But at least allowing people to choose whether
> they want games, gui's, development tools, etc. would be nice instead of
> installing everything for everybody.
>
> Adam

At present in NORMAL mode, the installer offers BASE, BASE + SOURCES, FULL and
FULL + SOURCES. I was thinking that packages are easy to install afterwards
using FDIMPLES. So, just skip thatqeestion in NORMAL mode.

At present in ADVANCED mode, the installer offers BASE, BASE + SOURCES, FULL,
FULL + SOURCES, CUSTOM and CUSTOM + SOURCES. When either CUSTOM is chosen, the
installer launches FDIMPLES. FDIMPLES uses the package list from the installer
and allows the user to modify it however they desire. When finished, it returns
to the installer with a CUSTOM set of packages defined by the USER and installs
that onto the system. I was thinking in this mode, keeping the BASE and CUSTOM
options and discarding the FULL options.

The end result would be.. Normally BASE gets installed and the user could
install other packages that are included with the media afterwards if they
wanted. Or when run in advanced mode, they could just install BASE or could
include/exclude additional items at that time.

The customization of the list of packages used by the installer under advanced
mode was the original intent and usage of FDIMPLES. That is where the name
originated. The FreeDOS Installer - My Package List Editor Software. Unlike the
creator of Gif, I want the pronunciation of the acronym to be up to the
community to decide. So, if you like FDIMPLES, FD-IMPLES, FDI-MPLES or some
other way to pronounce it, go for it. I support your effort.

:-)

Jerome