Hello Paul,

On 25 Aug 2022, at 9:41, Paul Dufresne via Freedos-devel wrote:

> While thinking about 64k limit for edit... I come to think about 16 bits and
> 32 bits programs...
>
> Why there is no two separate versions of FreeDOS, one for 16 bits CPUs (8086)
> and one for 32 bits CPU (386+)?
>
> It seems there is a lot of programs that cannot run on 8086... and others
> that could take advantage of 32 bits compilation.
>
> Does it should not suggest to have two separate versions foir this relatively
> different needs?

the 64kb limit is not imposed by DOS. It is a decision made by the developer of
that application.

A 16bit DOS program running on 16bit FreeDOS can access up to 4 GB of RAM if
available. But that is something the developer must program that way.

BTW, there is a 64bit version of FreeDOS (but it does not run on bare metal
hardware):
https://github.com/dosemu2/fdpp

Greetings

Carsten